Monday, February 18, 2008

Why Blog?

I have been asking myself this question since I learned about blogs many years ago. Why publish what is essentially a diary? Why invite strangers into your innermost spaces? If you are writing for your friends, why don't you just call them up? As for myself, I am more voyeur than exhibitionist. My motto may have been, variously, "less is more" and, to paraphrase Chanel, elegance is refusal.

So I have no answer to my question. Only another question: Is some one out there listening?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenni-

I got here through Poppy. She led the way. She was the gateway animal, like a gateway drug. She was the chinese dragon, the temple guardian.

And so here I am.

Firesign Theater famously asked "How Can You Be In Two Places at Once When You're Not Anywhere At All?"

But these days of modern times have brought the answer: easy.

I am clearly both in your blog and at Cafe Europa. At once.

And they are both cool places to be.

I can't help but notice that you have been blog mum. Well, I don't really know. But you have not told me about this place.

But now I understand. You left the job to Poppy.

While this my answer isn't really an answer to your question, it might serve as at least a shard, an aspect, one color in the split prism of an answer.

Yrs,

Jim