Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Bush II Administration Retrospective

As the George W. Bush administration draws to a close I have decided to list the affinities, policies or decisions of that President that I have agreed with. They are as follows:

The invasion of Iraq. Yes. I was once a supporter of this decision. However, once it became clear that Iraq had no WMDs, I withdrew my support.

Last summer's suggestion that we suspend the gas tax. It was a stupid idea, and it still is.

Dogs are cool. We both really like dogs. However, so did Hitler and the Marquis de Sade. I don't know what this says about us.*

The decision not to help Israel bomb Iran.

The creation of that huge National Monument in the Pacific.

The decision to work closely with the Obama transition team. I always thought that President Bush might be, in essence, a bully, but this recent magnanimity suggests that he might have evolved as a person.

Running. We both like physical activity.

The whole shoe-throwing incident was an insult to America, as well as to the President, and I felt a deep empathy for him. No country or person should be so insulted, regardless of the atrocities that country or person has committed.

He is the decider.

He signed legislation that prohibits discrimination against people because of the information that might be contained with in their genome.

Bailing out the domestic car industry.

We both love America.




*I confess that I like the Marquis de Sade. This opinion is based on Francine du Plessix-Gray's excellent and very sympathetic biography, At Home with the Marquis de Sade.

No comments: